NYU Ability Project, Phase 5: Iteration

This week I took Antonio’s feedback and incorporated it into new tactile graphics. I included the files in my last post.

I was able to user test again, to continue refining changes such as best practices of how a resistor should look, rotating the page so the graphic takes up more space, and separating the key onto a facing page.

Here is his feedback:

2 LEDs, switch, resistor in series

Antonio touching the tactile graphic of a schematic in a binder

  1. Have the pages facing, holes on the bottom
  2. Triple thickness on microcontroller
  3. Braille needs to be smaller

 

Arduino Uno Parts

Tactile graphics of Arduino Uno parts

  1. take away capitals on USB

 

Digital Output

Antonio feeling a digital output tactile schematic

  1. Facing pages, holes on bottom
  2. Smaller resistor

 

Lab Serial Duplex

Antonio feeling a complex tactile graphic

  1. Font size is perfect

 

I updated the SVG files, which can be found here.

Claire sent through an interesting reference, which I’ve been going through, about tangible graphics, which can be found here.

On Friday, we took a field trip to the Andrew Heiskell Library on 20th street to check out their tactile graphics lab. I was able to try my hand at using their Tactile View software to convert a graphic we found on Google images. I loved the embosser- definitely a more efficient way of producing tactile graphics, though since it’s a dot matrix format, there are less options of exploring line thickness. Thick lines can perforate your paper.

Here are some demo’s from Chancey and my attempt to use the software:

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *