Intro to Fab- Spaghetti Twirler

Day 1: First, I went to Tinkersphere and picked up this weird pan/tilt mount. I played with it for entire day before realizing that it was way too complicated for the application I wanted to achieve.

Day 2: I switched to a simple DC motor and two AA batteries. After digging through the junk shelf and finding a single stainless steel fork, I had a eureka moment. I decided to make a machine that twirls my spaghetti for me.

I needed an enclosure for my battery circuit, so I laser-cut two round pieces with room for the standoffs and the panel-mount button.

The problem was, the DC motor was so tiny, there was nothing to hold it up so the gear remained through the hole.

To solve it, I cut a third piece that tightly slid up the along standoffs and supported the motor.

Then, I got to work on my circuit. I used a combination of soldering, wire nuts, and wire wrapping

The circuit worked!

Some gentle wrangling of wires, and the entire closure came together with room at the bottom for the battery pack.

The last stage of the process was to figure out a way to affix the fork to the motor in the strongest way possible, so that I could actually use it to eat spaghetti.

Day 3: I did a bit of re-wiring, using only the length of wire needed, and unified my connections with soldering. The result, was a much cleaner, better functioning enclosure. I accidentally melted my panel-mount button with the soldering iron, so I made my 3rd trip to Tinkersphere…

I got my hands on a new motor that didn’t have the tiny gear at the top, printed the template for the DC motor that holds it upright, and was generously provided with a tension-mount gear (thank you!).

Though the baby fork suggestion is ultimately better, I chose to use a plastic fork due to other unforeseen factors. I sanded the gear and plastic for slightly, chopped off the end of the fork so it would be more sturdy, and used 5 minute epoxy and a clamp to attach the two together.

When the epoxy was dry, I got to give my little machine a try. I can’t wait to test it on spaghetti!

*UPDATE* Final documentation with linguine:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *