My main goal, in making 5 of something, was to acclimate myself to the shop and the machines, as well as fabricate something a teensy bit more aesthetically pleasing than my flashlight.
I was inspired by a Danish mobile I have hanging in my bedroom (as well of this season of GoT):
I wanted to make my own fleet of ships, so I began by drawing a sketch:
Next, I went to my safe and happy place, the 23rd St. Home Depot.
I bought my wooden dowels, about 1.5 inches, and got to work. First, I used the band saw to cut 5″ pieces of wood, and then used the sander to bevel the bottoms of the boats:
Then, I measured and drilled 3 even spaced holes for the masts:
This is where I painted them, before realizing I forgot to bevel both ends of the boats to a point. So the next day, I sanded and painted again. I think the 2 coats of paint affected the smooth surface and I wish I’d applied more even coats.
I waited a day before cutting out the sails and glueing them to toothpicks. This was honestly the most tedious part of this process because you have to do them one-by-one as they dry.
After all the tops of the sails were dry, I slightly bent the paper and held each one as I glued the bottom to get the wind-in-the-sails effect.
Finally, I got to see what my final boats were going to look like! I still think it looks like a 10-year-old made them, but definitely a step above my flashlight. Also, I don’t mean to insult 10-year-olds- theirs would probably be more expertly fabricated 🙂
I put a tiny bit of glue at the bottom of the “masts” to keep them in place.
Final looks! I want to test them out in water, but I’m afraid they’ll tip over!